Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sudden Spark

I was thinking of something that my mom told me a while back. She said that there were three things that you don't discuss if you don't want to get into a fight with someone. I will now discuss the one that is probably the worst; Religion. Now please remember that this is my opinion and I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. So hear me out or don't read this whatsoever. Your choice.

I believe that religion is as much corrupt as it is necessary. Religion is needed because we as humans need an explanation of the miracles of the world. Also we need to feel like there is some meaning to our existence and that we continue after our deaths. I can't possibly imagine just an abrupt end to everything. Not being able to be conscious in body or spirit. Man itself is not ready to face the possibility of nothing for we have never felt the true nothing. So we make religion to have a possibility of an unreal paradise.

The interesting thing about heaven and hell is that we experience these places in our minds every day. Heaven might be total peace of mind while hell might be the torrent of questions that keep obliterating our beliefs. Also many people look forward to death because they believe that God or some other divine being will tell them the answer to the question that everyone asks themselves at one point of their lives; what is the purpose of our lives (what is the meaning of life)? I like how in The Vampire Lestat (I think) where Lestat wonders if the meaning of life really is revealed. What will happen if there really is no reason or if it is not revealed? Will we have to suffer the question or the answer for ever or shall we just forget about everything? I gyess I'll just have to wait for the answer.

Back to our subject. I think that religion has brought suffering as much as it has brought peace of mind. Are they really so different that we kill each other just to prove that we're right? I guess that once we admit that there is another possibility then our whole belief system is put to question and then nothing seems to be able to completely mend our mental state.

I do have a bit of a quarrel with people who believe that humans are made in God's appearance and those who believe that Jesus will come and take his chosen people to wherever while he leaves the rest of us to die.
Discussing the first theory. I'm not saying that the people who believe this are wrong but there is also the possibility that God looks nothing like us. I for one have never seen him so I can't say what he looks like. If some human decided that he looked like us then that's fine but if someone else said that he was just energy or some other substance then they might be correct as well. I don't know and I don't think that any living person does either.
As for the second issue I don't belief that whatsoever. If I've learned anything about Christ (which I must admit isn't a lot but still) it's that he belived in the goodness of the human spirit which resides in every human being. And also, it says in the Bibloe that thow shall not kill. So how is leaving more than 50% of known living things, and the countless others that are unknown, to die not murder. It would be the biggest sin in the known history of humanity. Of the world even (I don't think that the meteor that killed the dinosaurs knew what it was doing).

So I don't want to knock religion but, just like anything else, it has it's valuable lessons and it's faults. I hope that no one has gotten offended by this because it is only an opinion. I hope that you respect that it is mine and don't judge me too harshly.

3 comments:

  1. that was loonggg. i agree. religion has corrupted our lives. I'm a christian. I don't go to church all in all. I believe that there is a god and he's watching over us but i also believe in the science of things. and quite possibly maybe our spirits don't go on after life itself. maybe we're just another sort of animal that over time has gotten stronger minds and weaker bodies. so that we have to protect ourselves more and come up with more technology. i guess i'm just free on religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like most things about religion.

    I believe that most people, not all, seek religion for a sense of family, a sense of belonging.

    I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That question is asked all of the time. If God, or whoever, loves us then why are people dying? I don't know the answer. But would you rather have it that no one dies? Then no one can have the mircale of birth.

    Personally, I think that if you see God while you are living, life will have no compare. That if you saw Him, life would not mean anything. All you would want is to be in His presence. Although, once, I did see Jesus in my dream, after I prayed. I could barely see him, his white clothes were glowing brightly and he was blurry.

    ReplyDelete